Thursday, April 10, 2014

Delaney Steps Down as EdCC Women's Soccer Coach

Coach Jeanette Delaney
LYNNWOOD – Jeanette Delaney announced that she is stepping down as EdCC Women’s Soccer Head Coach in order to have more time to spend with her family. 

Though she will no longer be the coach at Edmonds, Delaney plans to stay connected to the game she loves.

“Looking forward, my main goal in stepping down is to be able to share the game with my kids in a way that wasn't possible while I was coaching at the college,” Delaney said.” Now, I'll be able to coach my son and not miss a single goal he scores.  My daughter is still a couple years out from U5, but I look forward to her first coach being female and being me.”

Coach Delaney guided the Edmonds CC women's soccer team for nine seasons. She helped shaped the Tritons into a yearly contender in the NWAACC North, her squads reaching the postseason on four occasions.  

In 2013, Delaney led the Tritons to a 16-3-3 overall mark and a North Region title. Edmonds went on to win two postseason contests and finished as runners up in the NWAACC tournament. Delaney was selected as the NWAACC Coach of the Year at season’s end.

“I know separating from the program is the best decision I can make,” Delaney said. “However, there has been little comfort in redefining my role to my players.  I love soccer. I love coaching. I love using soccer to as a medium to teach about life and personal strength.”

Delaney reached out to her former players: “Thank you all so much for your individual and collaborative contributions to my career success. Special thanks to [assistant coaches] Kim Plumis and Allie Wirtala for giving so earnestly and selflessly to establish the bedrock on which we built this program. Your friendship and our shared love of the game kept me coming back season after season.”

Delaney is also the Director of Admissions and Recruitment and Interim Director of Testing at Edmonds CC, as well as the college’s Women’s Commissioner to the NWAACC. She will remain in those roles. 

"I understand and respect Jeanette's decision," said athletic director Jorge de la Torre. "Coach Delaney has done a terrific job with the women's soccer team for nine years. Her program's focus has always been on the right things: student success, community service and on building a great team. I wish her the best of luck and thank her for all that she has done for Edmonds Community College women's soccer."

Edmond’s 50-acre campus is located 20 miles north of Seattle in the city of Lynnwood, Washington. Some highlights include 28 computer labs, nine science labs, three eateries, two greenhouses, a digital recording studio, an art gallery, a theater, a child care center, a gym, Triton Field, a transit center, Rainier Place – an on-campus residence hall, and a university satellite center for Central Washington University.

EdCC soccer competes in the NWAACC North Region and plays on Triton Field, an all-weather, on-campus turf facility which is perhaps the finest in the league. A search for Delaney’s successor will begin immediately. If interested in the position, please contact Athletic Director Jorge de la Torre at jorge.delatorre@email.edcc.edu or at 425-640-1233. 

No comments:

Post a Comment